Today, 80 years ago, on September 26, 1934 at the John Brown & Company shipyard on the banks of the Clyde River in Scotland job number 534 became one of the most famous ocean liners of the times:
I am happy to name this ship the Queen Mary. I wish success to her and to all who sail her.
The following onboard ceremony schedule has been announced for today, Friday 26, 2014
• Grand Ballroom Opens to Public – 4PM
• Welcome Remarks by Commodore Everette Hoard – 4:15PM
• Remarks by Mayor of Long Beach, Robert Garcia
• Presentation of Queen Mary Video
• Remarks by John Jenkins, Queen Mary General Manager
• Commemoration of 80th Anniversary / Announcement of Queen Mary Initiative
• Presentation of Queen Mary Cake by Baker, Jose Barajas
• Cutting of First Slice by Mayor Garcia, Jenkins and Hoard
• Concluding Remarks by John Jenkins
• Invitation to attending public to share a slice of history
An update on the celebrations will follow shortly. I am looking forward to photos taken by friends onboard, especially of the 15 ft long Queen Mary Cake.